Born: January 14, 1856
Birth Place: Feehold, NJ
Died: August 17, 1907
Judge Frederick Parker was born in Freehold, January 14, 1856, the son of Joel and Mariah Gummere Parker. His father was governor of New Jersey during the War of the Rebellion, and his grandfather, Charles Parker, was at one time sheriff of Monmouth county, state treasurer and state librarian. He received his early education at the Freehold Institute. In 1873 he entered the Sophomore year at Princeton University, graduating from there with the class of 1876 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
He studied law with his father in Freehold, and afterwards took a course at Columbia Law School in New York. He was admitted to the Bar as attorney-at-law in 1879, and as counselor in 1882. In 1880, he formed a law partnership with William H. Vredenburgh under the title of Vredenburgh & Parker. This partnership was dissolved in 1889, and Mr. Parker practiced alone.
When the Bankruptcy Law was established in 1898, he was appointed the referee for the district of Monmouth and Ocean counties, and for a year or more was delegated to perform the duties of bankruptcy referee in Hudson county, during the illness and subsequent death of Referee A. S. Lewis. He took a great interest in bankruptcy law and was a member of the National Association of Referees. He was a member of the committee which prepared the amendments to the bankruptcy law in 1903 by Congress.
In January, 1906, he established an office in Jersey City for his private practice and the hearing of the bankruptcy cases.
He was for several years a member of Freehold's governing body, serving as chief town commissioner, and later as secretary and treasurer of the Board of Water Commissioners. He was president of the Board of Trade for several years, secretary of the Monmouth Battle Monument Commission, vice president of the New Jersey Society of the Sons of American Revolution, member of the Lawyer's Club of New York, director and attorney for the Central National Bank of Freehold.